Saturday, January 19, 2008

Do I Look Like A Damn Fool To You?!

First let me say rest in peace to the American economy.

Now that we've handled that little piece of business, let us move on to the latest scheme our genius politicians have in the works for us. Unless you've been hiding in a hole in Iraq for the last day or so, I'm assuming you've heard about George W. (we're all gonna get) Bush(ed) and his new plan for stimulating our impotent economy. When I first read up on this still very vague plan I thought to myself "Wait, am I about to agree with Bush on something?". I mean at face value, the whole thing sounds kind of interesting. Inject some cash into a cash strapped economy while expanding the deductions that businesses take for investment in equipment which would increase the working capital of businesses across the county. OH MY GOD, HE'S GONNA MAKE A GOOD DECISION!!! Then after about an hour or two my intelligence woke up from his afternoon slumber and started screaming obscenities in my head.

I started to think about how this is just another election year I'm-helping-out-my-party tactic. Every person with the brains God gave burned toast knows that Bush's presidential career has had him mostly playing the role of Muppet to the Republican party's Jim Henson. He's the mouthpiece of a power-hungry, soul-less, evil political entity and this is just another one of their tricks to sway voters onto their side for the big Tuesday in November. Then I read about Democrats ready and willing to cosign to the proposal. The initial shock confused me until I realized that A) Democrats have, in recent history, proven to be spine-less sacks of hot air and B) (as pointed out in this NY Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/19/washington/19fiscal.html?ref=washington)
This congress and its Democrat majority have a lower approval rating than President Bumblefuck. Both parties get to look like heroes in this one in a classic move that proves once again that good and evil carpool to work (that is to say that our political system is one great big well-orchestrated con job of the common man.
Consider this quote from the NY Times article:
“We’re not able to afford that typical drawn-out and political legislative battle where both sides first stake out hard-line positions and come together after months of debate. We need to expedite the process by trying to take the politics out of it, which in turn is good politics.”

So what, as long as the economy gets better and we're prosperous as a nation, who cares? Right? WRONG!!

One of the paragraphs of that NY Times article states:
In laying the foundation for a plan rooted in tax policy, Mr. Bush held fast to a central theme of his presidency, that cutting taxes, rather than increasing spending, was the route to prosperity.

Um, I'm not the brightest man in the world, but doesn't giving people tax cuts and rebates designed to put cash into the economy increase spending? The whole intention of this plan is that you'll get your designated amount of cash, either directly in a rebate or indirectly in a tax cut, and go out and paint the town red. Don't throw a brick at my face and tell me it's a pillow. We got into this horrible situation by spending money like it was gonna rot. (©Chris Rock) Thanks to Greenspan and his pull-this-solution-out-of-my-ass approach to the economy, we were all encouraged to swipe those cards, buy that home you can't afford, and take that vacation because you deserve it. In short, the cause of the problem that we are now faced with is going to be used to solve the problem. Doesn't make much sense to me either.
Well, sometimes the roses look prettier than they smell.

“Unfortunately, lawmakers are taking the political approach on the stimulus, which is to say they seem to be focusing on what proposals are popular than what will actually help the economy,”(© NY Times)

No comments: